Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Homemade Vegetable Broth

Vegetable Broth

There is nothing like the smell of simmering veggie broth on your stove on a cool fall day.  The smell just makes the home feel a little more cozy.  Also, knowing that you are making a nourishing broth is so calming.   I'm going to teach you how to make it practically for free!  Because you are using your own junk!  That's right, you can use all of your discarded veggie parts to make a delicious and beautiful broth.

Believe it or not, veggie broth is extremely easy to make!  And the exciting part is, you can make it how you want it.  I will show you the basics but the seasoning is up to you.   

You will save your veggies for stock as you cook nightly.  Save in an airtight ziplock freezer bag or any bag that will keep the air and frost bite out.  Depending on how many veggies you eat, this can happen pretty quick!
This is how I store mine 

Veggie stock or broth is easy to make with your old veggie scraps.  Instead of tossing the top of your onion, tomato, celery stalk top, or carrot tops, peppers, a garlic clove, also the pieces of your onion you don't plan on using, the skin, a dry outer layer...etc.  I prefer only using these things but I also use squash tops when in season but I leave out the broccoli stalks and cauliflower because those will overpower your broth.  I love beets and hate to see the beautiful greens go to waste as I haven't mastered a beet green recipe so I usually use beet greens in my broth because it gives it a beautiful color. 

Once you have all of your ingredients you put them all in a soup pot and fill to the top with water. You can add your favorite spices as well.  I generally use white pepper because I am pregnant and everything grosses me out.  But if you have a taste for basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, whatever your taste is, now is the time to season your broth to your liking.  Also, if you like it plain, then don't add anything and just let the veggies flavor your stock.  Turn the stove up to medium or medium low and let simmer, covered for up to an hour.  Begin checking at half an hour.  If you cook too long the taste will become bitter.    


  

 Veggie Broth Ingredients


After your broth is complete, strain into a glass container to cool, then freeze what you won't use in the next few days.  You want to cool in glass because of the whole BPA issue.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bpa/AN01955




 Vegetable Broth

 Who knew all your junk could make such a beautiful and flavorful stock?  I love using broth in rice, soups, and risotto.  I will share my risotto recipe with you soon! 




No comments:

Post a Comment